GBCMC Logo
Georgia Baptist Church
Music Conference
www.gbcmc.org
Brief History

The Department of Church Music of the Georgia Baptist Convention began operation October 15, 1951 under the leadership of Dr. Paul McCommon as the very first director. Under its auspices, the Georgia Baptist Church Music Conference was organized in July 1952, making it the first such organization in the Southern Baptist Convention. The following year, a constitution was adopted which included provision for membership for Ministers of Music, Music Directors (part-time), Children's Choir Directors, organists and pianists, and even pastors - anyone who had any interest in church music. Also college music faculty were encouraged to join.

Robert Farrall served as the first president and J. Howell Penny, a pastor, served as the second president. From the beginning, the group grew. Much of the growth of Church Music in Georgia Baptist churches may be attributed to the cooperation and faithful service of this organization as they joined heart and hands with the Music Department of the Georgia Baptist Convention to assist our churches in singing the praises of our Lord.

It was no accident that the Georgia Baptist Church Music Conference caught the attention of the leadership of the Baptist Sunday School Board and became the proud parents of the Southern Baptist Church Music Conference which began in 1957.

Sons of Jubal, the male chorus of Ministers of Music serving in Georgia Baptist Convention churches, was organized in 1954; again, the first such group in the Southern Baptist Convention.